Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 5

Post a picture of a favorite memory.
Malina Denis has finally arrived!
Please ignore how incredibly disgusting I look. I was definitely not one of those moms that had that glow unless you consider nasty sweaty gross a glow. I will take this time to tell you my amazing little birth story : )
On a Tuesday night I started having contractions. Nothing too crazy and I never really had braxton-hicks during my pregnancy so I assumed that I was finally experiencing them, I was 37 weeks at this point. So I pull out my handy What to Expect when Expecting book and started reading about what contractions are supposed to be like and when to call the doctor and blah blah blah all things that I have already read a million times. I eventually fall asleep, wake up the next morning while Jeremy is getting ready for work and before he left I told him to not be surprised if I ended up calling him. I was still having contractions, nothing significant but I just had a feeling. So after convincing Jeremy that he was okay to go to work I got ready for the day and probably double checked my hospital bag a million times all while looking at the clock everytime I felt the slightest contraction. They were starting to get a little stronger and coming closer together but still no regularity. I eventually called Jeremy and told him I thought he should come home. He got home in lightning speed! We walked around are neighborhood and while walking the contractions were definitely getting stronger and eventually to the point that I had to stop everytime I had one. Jeremy pretty much carried me the rest of the way home and again drove with lightning speed to the hospital.
One of my first memories of being in the hospital was when I heard a lady in the next room screaming. It was one of the most horrifying screams I have ever heard and I looked at Jeremy and told him to take me home that I wasn't in labor. However within 5 minutes of that I was checked and had significant "bloody show" so I was admitted and all the fun began! They wanted me to walk around some more to try to strengthen my contractions and again I was horrified by hearing all the screaming women but then something amazing happened. We passed a room again and heard the sound of a baby's first cry. I just stopped and started crying. Jeremy probably thought I was crazy but I was ready to hear my baby's cry. At midnight they came in and broke my water. At 2a.m. Jeremy convinced me to get nubain for the pain, I wanted to be able to get out of bed if I wanted to so I didn't want the drugs. I ended up having two doses of nubain but it didn't really do a whole lot. The spot on the wall that I was fixated on seemed to do more than the drugs. Hours and hours went by and nothing was happening. I requested a birthing ball, which is just a big exercise ball, and that thing was a life saver! It helped SO much with my contractions, I loved it, but eventually the babies heartbeat started to drop and I had to be confined to the bed : ( I was stuck at 5cm forEVER. They had a massage therapist come in to try to help me along and she was absolutely amazing but still no progression. By this time my actual doctor was on the floor and she came in and talked to me about going ahead with a c-section. At this point I was beyond exhausted and just ready to be done. A nurse came in shortly after and asked if I would like an epidural to allow myself to relax a little and maybe that would help my progress and at the very least allow me some kind of rest. I agreed and let me tell you I could have kissed the anesthesiologist! It was instant relief and all I wanted to do was close my eyes and relax, however the doctor came in told me I had been through enough and it was time to have my baby! I don't really remember a whole lot from the surgery room other than feeling like I was freezing to death and I was shaking like a leaf. Jeremy watched the procedure and I will never forget his face when he saw Malina for the first time. Absolutely Amazing!  So after 38 hours, yes you read that right, 38 hours miss Malina Denise Aldrich arrived. My best memory ever!

2 comments:

  1. ahh i had never heard this before :)
    great birth story for sure!

    & after reading soooo many birthday stories of over 20+ hours. my under 5 hours really doesn't seem like much anymore haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! yeah 38 hours is a bit much, definitely worth it but really??? 38 hours, that's just not right! and the thing that gets me is that I went through all that and then never got to really "deliever" her.

    ReplyDelete